avahi-daemonSection: Maintenance Commands (8)
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEavahi-daemon - The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon
DESCRIPTIONThe Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon implements Apple's Zeroconf architecture (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour"). The daemon registers local IP addresses and static services using mDNS/DNS-SD and provides two IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the mDNS record cache the avahi-daemon maintains. First there is the so called "simple protocol" which is used exclusively by avahi-dnsconfd (a daemon which configures unicast DNS servers using server info published via mDNS) and nss-mdns (a libc NSS plugin, providing name resolution via mDNS). Finally there is the D-Bus interface which provides a rich object oriented interface to D-Bus enabled applications.
Upon startup avahi-daemon interprets its configuration file /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and reads XML fragments from /etc/avahi/services/*.service which may define static DNS-SD services. If you enable publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers in avahi-daemon.conf the file /etc/resolv.conf will be read, too.
- -f | --file= FILE
- Specify the configuration file to read. (default: /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf)
- -D | --daemonize
- Daemonize after startup. Implies --syslog.
- -s | --syslog
- Log to syslog instead of STDERR. Implied by --daemonize.
- Increase verbosity to debug level.
- Don't enforce resource limits as specified in the configuration file. (See setrlimit(2) for more information)
- Don't drop root priviliges after startup and don't require daemon to be started as root. We recommend not to use this option.
- Don't chroot(2) the daemon. This option is only available when compiled with chroot() support.
- Don't change the process name while running. Unless this option is specified avahi-daemon will reflect its current state and the selected host name in the process title.
- -k | --kill
- Kill an already running avahi-daemon. (equivalent to sending a SIGTERM)
- -r | --reload
- Tell an already running avahi-daemon to reread /etc/resolv.conf (in case you enabled publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers in avahi-daemon.conf) the files from /etc/avahi/services/. Please note that this will not reload the /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf. (equivalent to sending a SIGHUP)
- -c | --check
- Return 0 as return code when avahi-daemon is already running.
- -h | --help
- Show help
- -v | --version
- Show version information
FILES/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf: the default configuration file for avahi-daemon, avahi-daemon.conf(5) for more information.
/etc/avahi/hosts: additional static hostname mappings to publish in mDNS, see avahi.hosts(5) for more information.
/etc/avahi/services/*.service: static service definitions, see avahi.service(5) for more information.
SIGNALSSIGINT, SIGTERM, SIGQUIT: avahi-daemon will shutdown. (Same as --kill).
SIGHUP: avahi-daemon will reload unicast DNS server data from /etc/resolv.conf and static service definitions from /etc/avahi/services/. (Same as --reload)
AUTHORSThe Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/
SEE ALSOavahi-daemon.conf(5), avahi.hosts(5), avahi.service(5), avahi-dnsconfd(8), avahi-set-host-name(1)
http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal documents the problems when using Avahi in a unicast DNS zone .local.
COMMENTSThis man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:34:24 GMT, December 24, 2015